Tuesday, 22 October 2013 10:04
OBPA Annual Members Meeting
1:00 p.m. Saturday, October 26, 2013
Cape Hatteras Anglers Club • 47231 Light Plant Road • Buxton, NC 27920
Dear OBPA Members;
The Outer Banks Preservation Association will hold its annual members meeting on Saturday October 26, 2013 at the Cape Hatteras Anglers Club, 47231 Light Plant Road Buxton N.C. 27920 at 1:00 pm. The annual meeting will consist of a report from the president for the prior year and up-to-date informational reports to the membership by the Officers and committees. No business will be conducted at this meeting. Minutes of the meeting will be posted at www.obpa.org. After the meeting, the Board of Directors will answer any questions members might have. Hope to see you there.
House of Representatives:
- 2/26/2013 - House Bill H.R. 819, Preserving Access to Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area Act, was introduced by Congressman Walter B. Jones.
- 3/14/2013 - The House Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation held a Legislative hearing on H.R. 819. Congressman Walter B. Jones and Dare County Commissioners Chairman Warren Judge provided testimony at this hearing in Washington, D.C.
- 5/15/2013 – H.R. 819 approved 24 – 17 by House Natural Resources Committee.
- 7/9/2013 – H.R. 819 reported by the Committee and placed on the Union Calendar item 106.
- 3/7/2013 - Senate Bill S.486, Preserving Public Access to Cape Hatteras Beaches Act, was introduced by Senators Burr and cosponsored by Senator Hagan.
- 4/23/2013 - The Senate Subcommittee on National Parks held a hearing on S.486.
- 6/17/2013 – Senator Burr introduced an amendment to S. 486 cosponsored by Senator Hagan.
- The Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources unanimously approved an amendment to S. 486 in the nature of a substitute.
- 9/10/2013 – Senator Wyden, Chairman of the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, reported S. 486 with amendment in the nature of a substitute to the Senate.
- 9/10/2013 – S.486 placed on the Senate Legislative Calendar item number 180. Floor debate and vote have not yet been scheduled.
What can you do?
- Contact your Senators and urge them to support S.486 and take the steps necessary to bring to the floor and pass this legislation.
- CHAPA vs Salazar(DOI), Jarvis(NPS), Murray(CAHA) case 1:12-cd-00219 which was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on February 9, 2012. Remains active in 2013.
- 12/23/2012 – Judge Emmet G. Sullivan issued an order to transfer the case to the U.S. District Court for Eastern District NC where it was subsequently assigned to Judge Terrence W. Boyle. The new case number is 2:13-cv-1-BO.
- 2/25/2013 – Court issued Scheduling Order for motions to be filed by the parties in the case.
- 4/18/2013 – Court granted plaintiff’s (CHAPA) motion for extension of time to file motion for summary judgment from 4/19/2013 to 7/10/2013 with similar extensions for other scheduled dates.
- 7/10/2013 – Plaintiff (CHAPA) filed motion for Summary Judgment. (See OBPA website to read motion)
- 9/10/2013 – Court granted defendants’ (DOI) motion for extension of time to file motion for summary judgment from 9/10/2013 to 10/8/2013. Plaintiff’s (CHAPA) response will be due 12/12/2013 and defendants’ replies will be due 1/13/2014.
Visit www.obpa.org for the most current information on Free and Open Access to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area